Wednesday, July 15, 2009

George’s final thoughts


Yellowstone NP (Old Faithful inn)

This was really a fun trip and I learned a lot from my travels.
There were many things I enjoyed but at the same time there were also places and things I didn’t care for. Here is a brief list of likes and dislikes:
Most Scenic State: Virginia
Most enjoyed riding through: 1-Missouri, 2-Kansas, 3-Virginia(wasn't in tour mode to start)
Friendliest state: Kansas
Toughest climbs: Missouri (Ozarks)
Most Solar and Wind use: Kansas (wind) and Wyoming (Solar)
Most Dangerous riding states (In order) 1-Montanna,2(tie)-Idaho and Eastern Kentucky
Least friendly state: Colorado (where even bikers don’t say hello) but Virginia is a close 2nd.

Overall I really enjoyed Kansas and eastward, I did have issues with Eastern Kentucky as the roads were very unsafe due to a storms and narrow and windy roads. There were also the dog issues in that area. I found the western states with the exception of Oregon less scenic; they are basically high deserts with little vegetation. Anywhere there were trees, there was a national park. Of course Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons can’t be beat, they were just awesome and the most enjoyable days of the whole trip. I would definitely go back there. But when it comes down to it.... my favorite state in which I would live in, is my home state of North Carolina. It is full of beauty and where we see plenty of wild life in our own backyard, not to mention the great climate.

Some favorite times along the trail: As I biked along the road in the middle of cow country, these cows would run along side of me, the birds in Kansas also seemed to follow along. In the mornings after rain, riding along streams with no traffic or people around. I also liked riding along railroads for some odd reason.

Physically, I didn't find this very difficult. I actually gained a pound, perhaps in leg muscle but maybe just in my head. Some days I felt like I did nothing even after 75 miles of riding, at times I felt like I was sitting on a couch all day. I enjoyed climbing mountains but disliked the wind.

Would I do this again?
Probably not, while it was enjoyable most of the time, I really dislike cars now and some of the morons that drive them, its just too dangerous out there to be riding on a road bike. My favorite activity continues to be mountain biking and my plan now is to find a mountain bike trail that goes North to South though the US or at least some trail where we can get lost for a couple of hundred miles. If we fail to find a Mountain bike trail there is always Back Packing.

No comments:

Post a Comment