Saturday, July 4, 2009

July 3: Day 51



Today was another good day of riding with some nice views of canyons (in John Day's Fossil Bed area). George got going early and ended by noon to avoid the heat and the traffic. Since this is 4th of July weekend and we are in somewhat touristy area, we figure that stopping by noon would be a good idea for next couple of days. The road continues to be pretty good and there is not much traffic. I went for a hike which was pretty good and lead me to a really high peak with great 360 degree views of the forest around the area and other mountain peaks. There was also some snow by the peaks, very strange to see as it has been so hot in this area lately. I was a bit freaked out as I had to drive on a very narrow and curvy mountain road (completely away from any kind of civilization) for about 8 miles to get to the trail head. I need to start letting George know where I might be hiking, in case something happens, he knows where to look for me. The fact that I have just starting listening to an audio book written by Stephen King about a little girl who gets lost when going on a hike (on the AT)with her family. Of course, she made the fatal error, which I never do, of leaving the marked trail while looking for a short cut. Anyways, all went well with George’s bike ride and my hike. We stayed in a very little town, where everybody knows everyone’s name, which was interesting. We also went site seeing at the Painted Hills. It is very hot and dry in this area, barely any plants grow and little wild life, so it seems. I met this really nice local couple, who said that it never rains here in summer, which we believe as rain has not been an issue with the bike tour lately (mainly since we hit the western states).

We went from pass Mt. Vernon, OR to Mitchell, OR
Total Miles: 63

No comments:

Post a Comment