Thursday, June 18, 2009

June 18: Day 38


George started bright and early to tackle the Hoosier Pass. This is the most excited he has been since the first day of our bike tour. He did great with the climb, but did think that it was hard, mainly due to the high altitude causing shortness of breath. I performed my SAG job very swiftly and efficiently by getting there to take some pictures and getting the heck out of there quickly to a lower altitude. I do feel way better than yesterday and feel pretty much acclimated.

George remarks: The uphill climb was difficult due to SOB (shortness of breath); however the downhill into Breckenridge was even worse due to SOB’s (Sons of bitches) drivers. Had a couple of drivers who tried to run my butt off the road even though I was either at or above the speed limit. Others just honked their horns at me, perhaps they didn’t see the big yellow signs that show a bicycle and the words “share the road” or perhaps they just didn’t know what that meant but then again they seem to ignore the speed limit signs too by about double.
Another phenomenon that I experienced was with other bikers on the bike trail (a trail just for bikes, no cars) between Breckenridge and Silverthorne. I must have passed dozens of bikers going the opposite direction and they didn’t make eye contact and not a single one even initiated a hello. Of course I was on a mission to say hello to every single one I came upon. What I found was that 2/3 of them didn’t even respond back. Kitty rode with me for a few miles and couldn’t believe it either. But thats when it hit me, perhaps the altitude has affected them and they can’t read, understand or speak English or maybe they just all happen to graduate from South Park Elementary and are just a bunch of Uncle F____s.
In any event the scenery was really cool.

We went from Hartsel, CO to Dillon/Silverthorne, Co
Total Miles: 58

No comments:

Post a Comment