Monday, June 29, 2009

June 28: Day 46

What an interesting turn of events today. George was very excited to get back to riding after a couple of planned days off and first day of riding in Montana. I woke up with relaxing mood of not wanting to do much (which is very rare for me) and was diddling dawdling in the hotel room when George called me to let me know that there is a beautiful area about 11 miles into his ride, that I should check out. I quickly got everything together and got out there and man was it beautiful. I went for a little hike (I turned around when I saw signs to beware of Grizzly bears) and did a little ride. It was so beautiful that I felt like.... there is just so much beauty in this world that it hurts (its a movie line, see if anyone knows which one), but its so true some of the days around here. Then I got another call from George about a few hours later to have him be picked up as the roads were too dangerous for biking. The roads had no shoulder and were extremely narrow, they were windy and curvy and on top of that speed limit was 70 (yes, 70) mph. We had heard from a biker in Colorado that Montana had no speed limit, We know believe him. George had two people who tried to run him of the road and other times, he had to get off the road quickly when cars and trucks were approaching from behind. This happened about a dozen times in a 9 mile period and thats when he decided to get off the road and called me for SAG support. Its completely crazy to have those roads on the route. We ended up driving for a while with no change in road condition. We finally found an area where there was a shoulder and decided to call it a day there. We are hoping that the shoulder is here to stay.

We went from W. Yellow Stone, MT to Sula, MT
Total Riding Miles: 83

No comments:

Post a Comment