Saturday, June 20, 2009

June 19: Day 39



Best day of riding in Colorado so far..... according to George. The weather was great and so was the scenery, especially on this 10 mile secluded road. You take what you can get, especially when you are in a state where the roads are not the best. Since some parts of the ride today, he shared with the vehicles where the speed limit was 65 mph with no shoulder. I had a great time riding on that 10 mile road stretch as George called me and told me about it. According to him, it was pretty flat.... yeah right. I guess flat is a relative term, when you are in great shape vs. barely in shape. It was by far more hillier than where we live and train. I had fun climbing those flat hills and felt great. But I felt like carp later in the evening. We are thinking that may be I am still not fully acclimated to the altitude and may be I exerted myself too much on the ride. Which is too bad, since I wanted to try to challenge myself and try to make the Continental Divide pass, which is going to be possibly our third highest point of the ride (but if the second highest point still has snow on it, it will be closed, thus making tomorrow's the second highest). I guess I will have to try for the second highest one, hopefully it will be open and we will not have to take an alternative route that day.
We are voting the hotel room as the worst for the tour so far. The bathroom sucked, no a/c (this is not the only place that has no a/c and only heat in Colorado, very stuffy room etc...etc.. I love some of the scenery around here in Colorado but can't imagine living in a place where you need jackets year around. These days the temps in the morning and after sunset are around 40'is. People call this.... now the weather is getting pretty warm. Yikes....We are still waiting for us to be able to camp when the temps are little higher. Plus, Colorado does not beleive in providing flushing toilets for the campers. There are not enough trees around here to go in the bushes. Both of us can't stand to use the port-a-potty that are provided. Hopefully Wyoming will be different. We are hoping to cross the border tomorrow.

We went from Silverthorne, CO to beyond Sulpher Silver, CO
Total Miles: 74

No comments:

Post a Comment